Saturday, February 12, 2005

writing course

I started a short writing course today and enjoyed it. The course will be spread over three Saturdays, four hours each session. One of the things I learned today was that I must write every day. It helps to train my mind. There were several techniques suggested for getting from my left brain to my right brain where the creativity lives. The teacher also talked a lot about the critic that lives within us. The one that tells us that we aren't worth a shit as a writer. Techniques were given for stifling this critic during the creative stage, and for controlling the critic in the crafting sessions. The course will be beneficial. I may not attempt to write anything serious now or ever, but the tools that I am learning will certainly help if I ever do decide to do any serious writing.
In the mean time here is one of my poems which was written for my seven year old granddaughter who has a very typical little brother. I always heard that in the south you can say anything you want about someone if you preface it with," Bless her heart."
My little brother, bless his heart,
snuck in and tore my room apart.
I didn't tell mama bless my soul.
Instead I dug a great big hole,
and put his toys in nice and deep.
I did it while he was asleep,
and then I put the hose in too
and filled it 'til it all was goo.
After this he'll surely see
he doesn't want to mess with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home