Friday, October 17, 2008

visit with chemo doctor

Pat and I met with the chemo doctor today. We were told all about the treatment. It will begin on the 30th of Oct. and will be administered only three times during the duration of the seven weeks of radiation. Each treatment will last about six hours. The first step will be to do a blood test. A blood test will be performed every week. Then a couple of bags of a saline substance will be run through my veins. This will flush out my system. Then ( and I have forgotten how many bags) the chemo will be run through the same IV. UGHHH! I asked about nausea and was told that they can manage that really well now days. Some anti nausea medicine will be administered through the IV and I have prescriptions for a couple more. The degree of nausea differs with each patient. We asked about possible long term problems and were told that some permanent hearing loss could occur as well as some kidney damage. I was given a hearing test by an audiologist so that they will have a base line. I can actually hear really well which is amazing after spending 36 years at various auto plants. Pat heard these results also. I guess that I will no longer be able to pretend that I don’t hear her. She is in the know now.
We also asked about pain management and were told that I should be able to function until about two weeks before the end of treatment. Then I would be given liquid morphine, and hydrocodone.. She said that the last two weeks before, and the first two weeks after the completion of the radiation would be the worst. She expected that I might lose as much as forty pounds. Phleghm will be a problem and the only way to get rid of it will be to cough it up. That sounds like it will be lots of fun with a sore throat!
The radiation doctor said that the latest studies have shown that people that delay the implantation of the feeding tube do better in the long run. The chemo doctor disagrees and believes that it should be in place before the 2nd round of chemo is administered. She stated that I won’t want to have the implantation procedure done after I get sick. I have to decide between the two choices. I still have time.
We also talked about anti anxiety medicine and I told her that I had a prescription of xanax and have been using it to sleep since I got the bad news. She is giving me a prescription for Atavan also. Atavan can disolve in your mouth and won’t have to be swallowed.
All in all it was a good day. My spirits are up. I feel happy and trust that I will beat this.
I will make an appointment for complete dental x-rays for next Tuesday or Wednesday. Any problem teeth will have to come out before chemo starts. I have kept up every 6 months on my dental and am praying that everything will be okay with my teeth. I was told that saliva helps protect my teeth and gums and dental hygiene will be of utmost importance. I will be using a special tooth paste that among other things is high in flouride.
I go to the chemo lab on the 20th for more info. I will watch a video and listen to a nurse talk about what to expect with the treatment.
It’s rainy and windy here today which always makes me think of Robert Frost’s poem, My November Guest. Type that in google and have a look

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home