Saturday, November 26, 2005

The year is almost wrapped up

The year is almost wrapped up here at the marina. Doug, the other dockmaster, and I are down to just working weekends now. I am working today and tomorrow and then one weekend in December and then won't work again until June. Normally I would start back here in April, but I will be delivering a sailboat to Falmouth, England in May. There may not be work here anyway. The marina is for sale again, and the new owners may want a different crew.
Jackson Creek is beautiful this time of year. I saw a flock of swans pass over as I was walking the docks about 8:00 AM. I love seeing them. They make me think that maybe there still is hope for some of the wild places and creatures who live there. I surprised a loon which had the misfortune to surface along side of the dock as I passed by. He dove again rapidly. The sun is shinning brilliantly this morning and is rapidly melting the frost on the docks. The afternoon light is so beautiful here this time of year. It is so soft, and the water is so blue. I went kayaking yesterday. I left the dock at the house about 3:30 PM and headed up to the deserted end of the creek. I surprised some mergansers and some loons. I was the only person on the water yesterday as the sun set and the cold rapidly set in. There is still some colors on the trees and the soft afternoon sunshine displayed them in all of their brilliance. It was great to be there. I always feel a spiritual connection when I am out there all alone. The cold set in quickly as the sun dropped below the horizon and I turned on the gas logs when I regained the warmth of the house.

Good day
The Ol' Curmudgeon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home