Tuesday, January 06, 2009

oral cancer, my personal journey

I don't feel very good again today. I never know what I will feel like on a given day. I was told that the chemo has a cumulative effect. I felt badly for five days after the first round of chemo. I felt badly for eight days after the second round and it has now been twenty two days since the last round and I am still not completely back on my feet. Of course the effects from the radiation are still causing some of the way that I feel also. I am not a person who sits around. I am ready to get back to normal again.
A friend who was a counselor for many years recommended a hypno-therapist that she had dealt with over the years. She talked to him about the possibility of using hypnosis to restore some sense of taste. My thoughts are that my brain remembers what things taste like and that possibily hypnosis might trick it into producing a taste when I eat something, or at least fool me into thinking things don't taste as badly as they do. He said that he knew of no studies that had been done on that subject and said for me to wait three months to see what happens and if nothing changes call him and he would be interested in experimenting. He told my friend that his wife had similar treatments and that it took ten months for her taste to return.
I don't want to wait that long. I want this tube out of my stomach and am afraid that I won't be able to force enough food past my gag reflex. I am still taking five cans of supplement through my tube each day. I must get it lower. I had scrambled eggs blended with cheese and yogurt for breakfast along with one can of supplement through the tube. Last night's dinner was pureed ham blended with baked potato, green beans and half and half. My wife and I have talked it over and think that we should probably cook dinner for two just as we used to do but run mine through the food processor. Yum! Don't that just sound wunnerful?
The computer repairman is coming out later today. He said that my old computer is shot, but he was able to save all of my data which was a relief. He is going to help me install some things on my machine today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home