Tuesday, March 22, 2005

trucker accent

My good friend Jim travels a lot between Louisianna and Wisconsin and told me that a CB radio was indispensable to him. He advised me to get one to use on my own travels. He told me that it isn't like it was back in the seventys when everyone had a CB. "Basically only the truckers use them now," he said. I thought that he had stumbled onto a good idea so I went to Radio Shack and purchased a hundred dollar unit. Pat and I went on a trip to Atlanta shortly after purchasing the CB, and I have to admit, it was very helpfull when we needed directions on how to get someplace. There was always instant answers from the truckers to any question involving directions, cops, or traffic situations. I always knew why traffic was backed up, and at times was offered an alternative route.
One thing that I noticed right away was the accents of these truckers. They all sound as if they came from the same town somewhere in Alabama. Even the truckers in Michigan had the same, "twang" in their voices. I began to wonder, Are all truckers from the same community in Alabama? Or is it an affectation. Do they all need to sound alike to feel included?
The other thing that I noticed was that you probably don't want to use the CB when children or people who are overly sensitive to profanity are in the car with you. These truckers use every one of the words that George Carlin says that you can't say on TV repeatedly!!
The Old Curmudgeon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home