Friday, May 06, 2005

My newest poem

I saw a T shirt one time and it had this message inscribed on it,"The older I get the better I was." I decided to write a poem using that theme. It seems that when old guys, like myself, get together some exageration occurs. Hence the expression. Here is the poem.

The Older We Get, The Better We Was

When I get together with other old men
and we get to talkin' 'bout way back when
we tend to embellish the tiniest bit.
We want to remember when we were a hit.
Why when I was in high school, I remember back then,
I ran the mile in a minute and ten,
then rested five minutes and did it again.
That's what I might say to other old guys
when I hear them share a pack of their lies.
My buddy Elmer never weighed more than one ten
tells 'bout the time that he whipped fifteen men.
Now we all know that Elmer always ran from a fight,
but he sees himself in a much different light.
Bubba chimes in and remembers the time
that he bought a new Chrysler for ten bucks and a dime.
Wilbur remembers when he pitched a no hitter
with his arm in a sling! You don't call him a quitter!
Old Billy recalls he was good at the dance.
How he wore out the shoes and the cuffs on his pants.
I remember old Billy in the back of the gym
Hopin' the girls wouldn't recognize him.
When a girl would approach him comin' 'cross the gym floor
Billy would head through the crowd for the door.
It's not that we're lyin'; It's what memory does,
and the older we get, The better we was.
The Ol' Curmudgeon


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home