Thursday, February 26, 2009

oral cancer. My personal journey

Pat and I have been in Florida for the past 2 weeks and haven't been able to get to a computer so I have not updated my blog. Sorry.
I feel wonderful. My weight is holding steady. I still have almost no taste and very little saliva. I do have a problem though that started to develop recently. I seem to have a wad of something in my voice box. I am constantly clearing my throat. It is always worse in the morning and mostly gone by the late afternoon. It is never completely gone however. It was beginning to worry me. I guess that I will probably worry every time that I have anything strange going on with my body. I called the radiation doctor this morning and talked to his nurse. She told me that what I was experiencing was common and was caused by the thickening of my oral fluids. She asked me whether I was staying well hydrated and I said that I probably wasn't. She told me to drink lots of fluids to thin the mucous. So today I will chug-a-lug. She also suggested Benedryl. I will purchase some today.
I have gone to several meetings while in Florida. I met a woman the other night who obviously was just getting her hair back. She had had chemo for breast cancer. I met another woman who was 30 years old and had had a brain tumor removed 9 years earlier. It seems that We are surrounded by cancer and cancer surviviors.
I have been getting lots of exercise. I ride my bike several miles most days. As I said before; I feel great!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home