Wednesday, March 11, 2009

oral cancer. My personal journey

I saw the ENT doctor today. I was concerned about the lump in my larnyx. I had been told that it was probably congestion caused by thickened fluids but wanted to be sure. As soon as I told him what the problem was he assured me that it wasn't anything to worry about, but he took a look anyway' He sprayed a novacain solution down a nostril and then ran a scope through my nose and down my throat. It was not an enjoyable experience. He said that everything was okay and that what I was experiencing was very normal. My oral secretions are thicker than other folks because of the radiation damage and the dry winter air has exacerbated the problem. In other words I have a giant, dried snot ball in my throat!! He told me that things would improve with summers heat and humidity. I was very relieved and very grateful.
My sister bought me a funny hat while I was in Florida. It is a visor with a full head of moused hair sticking out the top. It looks very real. I stopped at the radiation center today where I had been treated and wore this hat into the office. I reminded the nurses there that they had told me my hair might come back differently, and that I didn't like it and wanted to complain. They all got a laugh out of it. They are wonderful compassionate people there who deal with misery on a daily basis. I thought that they might enjoy a little levity and they did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home