Monday, November 17, 2008

losing sense of taste

I haven’t written anything in a couple of days because I can’t get on line long enough to publish a post to the blog. There is a serious buzzing in the phone line and it slows down my internet so much that at times it disconnects me. The repairman is supposed to come out today between 1 and 7. It is five now and he isn’t here. I am going to try and post this anyway.
Saturday I began to lose my sense of taste. I can barely taste sugar but that is all. My sense of taste is almost completely gone now. Everything tastes like clay, and I have a metallic taste when my mouth is empty. I keep trying different foods but they all taste the same. I keep sugar free candy in my pocket and suck on that periodically.
I feel wonderful though. The effects from the chemo have worn off. I take a couple of Motrin when necessary, but that isn’t often. I also take Ativan at bed time to help me fall asleep. Pat and I went to church, out to lunch with friends, and for a very long walk yesterday and I had enough energy left over to wash the car.
Tomorrow I get my feeding tube put in place. I won’t be using it for some time I hope. I certainly don’t like the idea of it.
We talked to the dietician today also. We were under the impression that we would process regular food and run that though the tube. She says no. We will be using special formulas several times a day. It doesn’t matter to me. I can’t taste anything with or without the tube.
I still very much concentrate on today and the moment. I find my mind wandering into the future and call it back immediately. I can’t go there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home