Saturday, November 22, 2008

Oral cancer. My personal journey

My radiation appointment for Friday was cancelled. The machine broke down. My next treatment will be on Sunday at the normal time. My sister and brother-in-law have been visiting from Michigan and we have been out every day doing something. I feel pretty good and my attitude is good even though I am dealing with the cigarette ash taste from everything that I eat, and my ears are permanently filled with fluid. I get around the bad taste as well as I can by running everything through the blender so that all I have to do is swallow. Chewing leaves food in my mouth too long and almost makes me gag. Dinner tonight was cooked oat meal with peaches, prunes, and raisins all pureed in the blender. I simply gulp it down in big mouthfuls. I pureed some chicken and black bean soup for lunch and have had 2 bottles of Ensure today. I meant to get some protein powder today to add to the food mixture, but forgot. I will get some tomorrow. Last nights dinner was pureed mashed potatoes, peas, honey and beef gravy. Yum!! I mean UGHH!
A marina customer that I have gotten to know over the last few years called me from Florida tonight to find out how I was doing. It touched me. I can’t tell you how important that is. I know that some people won’t call because they feel that they don’t know what to say. I was one of those folks prior to this, but not anymore.
My daughter and three year old grandson came for a visit yesterday. He always makes me laugh. My stomach was sore from all of the laughing after he left. What a blessing he is!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home