Sunday, November 30, 2008

Oral cancer. My personal journey

It’s a gloomy, rainy, Sunday morning here. I Was planning on going to church this morning but I think that I will pass. There is no doubt that I feel somewhat better. I just don’t want to take a chance. The last three days are a blur. I am told that when I am through treatment and look back that it will all have been no more than a blip on the radar. I can’t see that yet with nineteen more radiation treatments and one more bout with the chemo geni.
I divided my sleep time, last night, between my bed and my recliner. I sleep better sitting more upright so that I can breathe through my nose which stops my mouth from drying out so quickly. The water bottle is ever present.
Breakfast this morning was three scrambled eggs with ground up ham and then a big handful of cheese. This was all cooked then dumped into the all consuming blender. Fortified milk was added and I drank it down with only one near gag! I chased this with a bottle of Boost which gave me an additional 240 calories. I am trying to choke down 2500 calories a day to keep from having to use the feeding tube. I have been told that I should require about that amount of calories to maintain my weight. So far the only thing that has gone through the feeding tube has been the water used to clean it out. It is important that I get as many calories as I can in as small quantity of food that I can. There is a supplement at Walmart that I will be buying tomorrow. It contains 360 calories which is 120 more than the other stuff. We are still waiting on our insurance company to decide whether they will pay for the special feeding tube supplement.
Anyway, I am certainly glad to be feeling a little more like holding my head up today. Whew!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home