Monday, November 24, 2008

Oral cancer. My personal journey

I talked to the chemo doctor today about the pain that is beginning to get uncomfortable in my throat. I had to get up in the night and take a couple of teaspoons of the codeine and Tylenol mixture to sooth the pain. She told me that there were better pain medicines than that and wrote me a prescription for purcacetts ( probably spelled wrong). I have lost 7 pounds over the last week. I thought that I was eating enough, but I guess that I wasn’t. I haven’t eaten any cake, cookies, pie etc for over a week because everything tastes like crap so why eat it? I think this has caused the weight loss more than anything else. We talked to 2 dieticians today and they had some good suggestions. I was told by the chemo doctor that the average weight loss for people under going this treatment is 40 pounds. I don’t have that to lose.
Last nights dinner consisted of 2 slices of chicken breast, a scoop of mashed potatoes, some collard greens, a half cup of carrots, and a can of supplement all dumped in the blender and pureed. Pat almost gagged when she saw me pour the supplement in with everything else! As I said before everything tastes like crap anyway so why not mix it all up? Dinner was a very pretty greenish brown. That’s what it tasted like also, greenish brown!
Tomorrow, after radiation I will see the ENT doctor about the fluid in my ears. Hopefully he can drain them somehow. Then we go to the main hospital where I will get a full body massage which is a part of the total program. That does sound good.
I get my second round of chemo on Wednesday. Whooppee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home