Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Oral cancer. My personal journey

The visiting nurse just left. She showed Pat and I how to use the feeding tube. She spent quite a bit of time going over things and making sure we knew exactly what to do. We will start with four cans of supplement a day. One can at four hour intervals and gradually work up to seven cans. Each can has 350 calories. I will still continue to eat as much as possible.
I felt terrible when I got up this morning. I had expected to start rebounding from the chemo effects. I thought that after feeling better yesterday I would naturally feel better each day. I realized that I had not been drinking enough fluids for several days and started pouring it down today. I talked to the radiation nurse about it this morning as well as the home care nurse this afternoon and they agreed that it was certainly a contributing factor to why I felt so badly. I didn’t have to pee for several hours after I started drinking which was a good indicator. I won’t let that happen again!
There are so many things to remember! I have a list of things to be done and medicines to be taken on the kitchen counter. I have another list of things to do stuck on the bathroom mirror. We check the lists several times each day to see what we have forgotten. There is always one or two items it seems. Our laid back , routine lives have changed dramatically.
The neighbor came over and cut and vacuumed the lawn today. God bless him. He has done this twice. We are very fortunate to have moved from our place on the water when we did. We could have never maintained that place while going through this. There were large oak trees everywhere. Their prodigious leaf production amazed me each fall when I cussed every one as I raked them all up.
One day at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home