Friday, December 05, 2008

Oral cancer. My personal journey

I had radiation treatment number twenty one today. Pat thought that it was only number twenty. I said, “Believe me! I keep a careful count!” I was right. Amen!
The radiation doctor saw us sitting in the waiting room and came out to share some good news with us. He said that another guy had finished his treatments which were basically the same as mine. He still had a slightly swollen lymph gland so they removed it and found it to be cancer free. Amen again! I need good news!
We counted the days and weekends in December and will finish treatment on the 29th providing the machine has no malfunctions. Merry Christmas!!
So far I am feeling okay. Not wonderful, but okay. The Saligen that I am taking for my saliva glands has kept them functioning at least part time. I still wake up several times at night and have to drink a little water though, and am still spending part of each night sleeping in my recliner so that I can keep my head elevated enough to breath through my nose.
The most intolerable part of this ordeal not counting the chemo is the terrible taste situation. I am eating regularly, and have augmented somewhat with the feeding tube. I have made it a goal to fight the weight loss as much as possible. So far so good.
My poor daughter and grandson arrived about 3:30 yesterday and had to leave about 6:30. My grandson started coughing on the way here and it got worse. We all decided that it was best that they leave and not spend the night. His situation developed into a bad cold with stuffed up nose. I don’t need that at this time when my immune system is down anyway. I have been washing my hands like an obsessive compulsive person since he left. Hopefully the germs won’t linger more than a day or two.
One day at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home