Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Oral cancer. My personal journey

I had treatment number 23 today. The numbers are going down but not quickly enough for me. I am going to start counting the remaining treatments instead of those already completed.
I hardly have to shave at all anymore. The beard is mostly gone except for a random whisker or two that seem to be resistant to the radiation. Pat trimmed my hair the other day and almost didn't have to trim the back of my neck.
I feel pretty good today, and went over to my brother-in-law’s house for a visit this afternoon while Pat went Christmas shopping in Newport News.
I certainly don’t have the strength that I would have, but I’m getting by pretty well.
I spent part of the night in my recliner again last night. It was almost 8:00 when I awoke. All in all I’m getting a fair night’s sleep with time divided between the bed and the recliner.
I combat indigestion every day which is undoubtedly brought on by the consumption of the rich foods like ½&½ . I still pack as many calories in as possible in small amounts of food. Today I had a tube feeding at 8:00 followed by scrambled eggs, cheese and ½&½ cooked in olive oil. All processed in the blender. Lunch was a box of Campbell’s tomato soup blended with a ¼ cup of processed mixed nuts ( 240 calories in a ¼ cup) and a can of supplement. This brought the meal in at around 750 calories. So far today I have consumed 2300 calories. I will have a tube feeding later which will bring my total in at around 2700 for the day. We have figured that I need 2500 to maintain my weight. All of this mess was choked down. I tell myself that I have to treat food as medicine. Forget the taste! Just get it down! It isn’t easy.
My throat became a little more tender than normal last night and I took a couple of Motrin which took care of it. I had to do the same today. The pain is still manageable and I could get by without the Motrin if needed.
There are a lot of people praying for me and simply knowing that fact helps me keep my spirit up. I thank all of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home