Friday, December 12, 2008

Oral cancer. My personal journey

I am down to nine more radiation treatments. Next week I will have six treatments as the clinic will be open on Sunday to offset the Christmas down time.
I am still doing very well. We went to Richmond yesterday morning so that Pat could attend a memorial for her dad and I could attend my three year old grandson’s Christmas program at his preschool. My energy level is not 100% but I feel good enough to do basically what I want. My ears are still plugged with fluid, my throat is sore but manageable, and my constipation is under control. I had to leave a urine specimen at the chemo lab this morning. I have had some twinges in the right kidney area and they want to see if anything is going on. Food still tastes awful, but we found that some things don’t taste as bad as others. For example; Last night’s dinner was mashed potatoes, green beans, milk, cream cheese, and three slices of bologna all processed on high. It tasted almost pleasant.
I absolutely dread chemo next Wednesday. I try hard not to think about it.
I have been told that my throat will begin to feel better about two weeks after radiation is completed, and that some people start getting their sense of taste back about the same time. I eagerly await that! The nurse told Pat yesterday that I lost my sense of taste earlier than most folks. I hope that isn’t a bad omen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home