Sunday, December 14, 2008

Oral cancer. My personal journey

Today has been a bit of a downer. I felt like I slept good last night, but woke up tired, and have felt down all day. Every day is a surprise.
Paul said in his letter to the Thessalonians this morning that we should be thankful in all circumstances. The priest’s homily was also on this topic. I sat there wondering how I could possibly be thankful for my present circumstances. Maybe it will be revealed to me later. I am certainly thankful for much. I am thankful for all of the wonderful people in my life. So many have offered their help. Many more have offered their prayers. Some have driven me to my treatments. One neighbor has taken care of my yard. My wife has been an absolute saint. I couldn’t have picked a better wife. My estranged daughter and I talk almost every day now, and I am truly thankful for that. So maybe I should be thankful for my circumstances. My eyes have been opened. I see love and concern every where. People truly are good.
A walk on the beach or a stroll through the woods has always brought me peace, and made me aware of how beautiful god’s world is. Today I went for a walk along a secret beach that I have found. There was a piece of someone’s pier washed up during a storm. I sat on this pier for a long time just watching the gulls, listening to the small waves as they washed up on the shore, and feeling the warm sunshine. It was beautiful and very peaceful. I prayed that god would give me the strength to get through the next ten days.
Tomorrow is the beginning of what could be a very rough period. I have nine radiation treatment in ten days with chemo thrown in just for some extra laughs. I should finish everything on the 24th. I have been told that my throat will get very, very sore. It already is sore enough to require Motrin. I have a prescription of Oxycodone here at the house, and my chemo doctor said that she will write me a prescription for liquid morphine if I need it. I am praying that it won’t get that bad. It's in god's hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home