Monday, December 15, 2008

Oral cancer. My personal journey

Eight more radiation treatments to go! I feel great today! I got good news from both doctors! Both the radiation doctor, the chemo doctor, and the dietician were delighted regarding how well I am doing. I actually gained two pounds this week. They both said that I am doing well because I do what they ask me to do. I force myself to eat. I use the feeding tube, and I try to get some exercise every day if possible. I told them that all the prayer has made a significant difference also, and having a devoted wife surely means the world as well. The radiation doctor says that he has another patient that is going through the same treatment that I am having and that he is not doing what is required. The doctor said that he is at the opposite extreme. I figure that I must do what the experts tell me to do if I want to have a chance at beating this thing.
I was told that my throat will keep getting worse for a couple of weeks after treatment. I didn’t need to hear that.
Chemo is Wednesday. UGGHHH!!!
So far 400 MG of Motrin is keeping the pain in my throat in check. I have the prescription for Oxycodone here if I need it. The problem with that is that it can contribute to the constipation, and I will have trouble enough with that after my next round of chemo. Oh well. I will do what needs to be done I guess and try to remember that I am closer to the end of this than the beginning. I started treatment very early in November which seems like yesterday. I talked to a man that had the same thing that I have and he has been cancer free for two years. He told me that this will be nothing more than a blip in my radar soon.
I can’t wait for the blip!
Oh boy! Mashed potatoes, green beans, bologna, cream cheese, milk and protein powder in the blender. Yum yum!! Can't wait! Can I have seconds please?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home